Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gun Season '08

Howdy y'all. Well Thanksgiving has come and gone and I enjoyed 4 days off. The only bad part was that it wasn't long enough. I didn't hunt Thurs. because of family stuff so my father-in-law and I went Fri. We set up in our usual spot Fri. morning and no one else was there. It was quiet and not as cold as the previous weekend. I had high hopes for the day with a front moving in but we got skunked again.

We stayed there until about 11 am and then went to an afternoon spot where I had hunted quite a bit during archery season and had seen many deer in the evenings. They were always out of bow range but not out of rifle range. We got to the spot I told him about and I set up in one corner and he set up in the other. We jumped one on the way in up by the road so, again, we were hopeful.

It was cloudy as it had been all day and as it got dark, the wind picked up and it cooled off quick. I held out as long as I could see hoping that they would be out right at dark, but they never came out where we were. We packed up and went back to the house. A good day hunting but nothing in the freezer.

The forecast for Sat. was supposed to be cold and I had some things to do, so we didn't go out Sat. morning. I had planes to watch the Alabama game Sat. so I didn't go out Sat. afternoon but Lloyd did.

Towards the end of the game, the house phone rings and it him. He asked if I got his text message and I said no, because I had left my phone in the car. So I go get my phone and he has a buck on the ground. He thought it was a 4 or 6 pt but wasn't sure because it was behind a bush and he just saw the big body. He said he would come by the house when he got it loaded.

He came by and it was a pretty big spike. The spikes were 6-8" long and it had a really big, thick body. It dressed just under 100# so I figured it to be about 1 1/2 yrs. old. I took a couple of pics and posted them on a hunting forum we belong to and emailed him a copy. I went out Sun. morning and we proccessed it.

I have meat in the freezer but not one I got. I usually get the meat from his deer too because he is the only one who eats it at his house and my whole family eats it.I told him that he had his so now it was my turn. Let's just hope it happens next weekend.Talk to y'all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment