Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bow Season '08

Howdy y'all. I had a short trip last week after work. It had rained lightly all day and it was cool so I figured that evening would be perfect for a little trip after work. I came home, showered, changed clothes, got my gear and headed to a local WMA right down the road. I got in the woods about 5 pm and headed to a spot I wanted to check out. I love walking through the woods in the rain and when it's wet. Everything is so quite. I got to the field I wanted to check out and there was a stand there in a tree. No one was in it,so I looked over the field and didn't see anything. I have hunted here before and knew if the deer weren't here then they would be in another field. I headed to the other field and found some spots for muzzleloader and gun season. I made my way through the woods and came to the edge of the other field. I crept out to the edge to look and make sure there weren't any deer in the vicinity. There weren't so I started to make my way around the edge of the field. The edge has a stair step shape to it so every so often I would come to a corner and stop and crawl to look around. They edge had been planeted on soybeans so I very opimistic. It started getting dark and it was a ways back to the car so I started heading out. That's when it happened. I stepped around a corner and there were two huge does about 60 yds away looking at me. I mean they were huge. One was broad side and the other was head on looking at me and the head on one was so big, I thought it was a buck at first. Then she moved her head and I could see it was a doe. I just froze. They could see me but not well but I couldn't move to draw back without spooking them. We stared at each other for about 15 mins. and now it was too dark to see to shoot. They finally walked of into the woods and I made my way to the car. The next time I go I will start out on that field and hopefully will have better luck next time. LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment