Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bow Season '08/Muzzle Loader Season '08

Howdy y'all. Well to catch up on my hunting. Thurs. the 6th, I went to my dad's place after work and set up out in the back field. There are several deer coming in to feed on acorns and they are bedding down in the field. I have seen them many times and dad has been helping me to pattern them. To add to it, there was a front coming in and rain for Fri. I thought this would be perfect. Man was I wrong. They never showed and there was someone riding the loudest ATV I have ever heard up and down the road to the fire tower, about 200 yds away. I still stuck with it and sat until dark because these deer have almost no hunting pressure and seem to be used to activity. Dad has taken several pictures of them and they don't seem to mind. Well, I went back to the house empty handed but with a good deal. Dad isn't going to do anything with the field next year, so I am going to plant a 1 acre food plot with a staging area and bedding area. Not a bad day after all.

Friday morning I got up at 3:30 and went to Murfreesboro to hunt with a friend of mine, Julian. I got to his house about 4:45 and we were at the woods by 5. We went to a part of Percy Priest WMA behind his house and set up on the edge of a cornfield. It was raining light but steady with some periods of harder rain and wind. The situation looked promising and the rain was just right for the big ones to be moving. We were set up so that I was watching one half of the field and he was watching the other half. By late morning, Julian was cold and a little wet (I was in a blind) and was hungry so we left and went for breakfast.

We set up that evening out behind his house on his property. He has seen the deer moving through like clock work in the evenings so, again we had high hopes. I set up in a stretch of woods on one end and his wife, Marie, sey up on the other end. We were hoping to catch them coming through no matter which direction they came from. Julian set up in a spot that he had seen a big one a few days before. At dark, we came out of the woods dejected and with nothing.

I hunted Sat. morning with my father-in-law here close to home and went back to dad's on Sun afternoon and evening. Nothing on both trips. So out of three and a half days and about 24 hrs in the woods where deer were known to be abd had been patterned, I came up with a big zero. It was about the strangest weekend of hunting I have ever had. I guess no matter how smart we are, the deer are always a little bit smarter. LOL But, then again, you don't have a chance if you don't go out and try. Persistance and perserverence will pay off eventually and the reward will be that much sweeter. Talk to y'all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment