Sunday, August 22, 2010

'08 Season Wrap-up

Hey y'all. Well deer season has come and gone and I got a big "Zero" for the year. It definitely was not from lack of trying. I spent three days at my hunting club lease with nothing. Two of the other guys came up Sunday and one of them got a really nice sized hog. It dressed around 136 and he said it was real good eating.



That weekend at the lease was interesting to say the lease. I got up there late Saturday morning Dec. 27 and set up camp. The wind was wild and it was a lot of fun setting up a 12'x12' tent by yourself. I brought the big one because Sam was going to come up so we would just have one tent. I got the tent set up and changed into my hunting clothes, grabbed my gun and ground blind and headed to my spot for the weekend.



I set up the blind behind a pond we have on our property. The hogs come in there and I have seen deer traveling through there so I thought it would be a great spot. I sat until a little before dark in gale force winds and thought about the fact I needed to get up some firewood. I headed back to camp and got up some wood and started the fire. It was fairly easy with the wind blowing like it was. I use toilet paper rolls full of dryer lint and sealed with melted candle wax as fire starters. They work like a champ. I got me something to eat after I changed clothes and settled in by the fire to enjoy the outdoors for the night and wait on Sam.



Sam texted me and said he wouldn't be up until Sunday morning and to give me the best news I had all weekend. There was a big storm coming. Yeah, just what I wanted to hear being on top of a montain in a tent no less. LOL!!! I texted back and forth with my wife for awhile and she was talking about the storm too. It started getting late so I decided to go onto bed. I went to bed but sleep was not an option.



About an hour or two after I laid down, the mother of all storms decided to show up and join me for the night. The wind was blowing so hard the fire picked back up, in the rain. It was making my tent lean and blowing a little rain up and under the rain fly. It was actually just a drop here and there but you know what I mean. LOL!!! It was a good thing I tied everything down real well or I would have been visiting Dorothy and Toto in Oz but I don't think my tent would have killed the witch though. LOL!!! I survived the night and got to sleep some where around 3 am so I missed my alarm at 4:30. Instead I woke up about 5:30 or so.

I got up, got dressed and was starting to head out when I heard a truck coming down the road. I waited to see who it was and it was Sam and Julian. They came up for the day. They asked why I wasn't in the woods, I told them and they had a good laugh. We figured out where everybody was going and headed out. I sat all day with no results. It was getting close to dark and I need to find some semi dry wood so I headed back to camp. Sam hollered at me on the radio and asked where I was at and I told him I was back at camp getting wood. He showed up a few minutes later. We were talking and heard something that sounded like a jet engine and tohught it was one flying over. Then we heard it again and started figuring it was Julian and it was the echo through the valleys. We waited to make sure there was not a third one (emergency signal) and started talking about our day to update our hunting program we have.



It was already dark and getting late and we were starting to wonder about Julian when we heard his 4-wheeler. He pulled into camp and said he need help getting a hog on the 4-wheeler because it was too heavy to pick up alone. We thought he was joking but he wasn't. Sam rode back down with him while I got up some more wood and got a small fire going. After a bit I here the 4-wheeler coming and they pull up with a huge hog tied on the back. We start talking about it and looking at it. It was freaking huge. We got it off of the 4-wheeler and I pull my car around for light and we took some pics. We all talked for awhile and they went home. I couldn't get much of a fire going so I went on to bed and listened to the coyotes fighting at the gut pile at the bottom of the bluff from camp and drifted off to sleep.



I got up the next morning with about a 1/4" of frost on the tent and it was freaking cold. I got dressed and headed out for my last trip. It was too cold and no dry wood for a fire to stay another night. I sat in the blind until early afternoon, came back to camp, packed up and headed home. I was ready for a nice hot shower, a hot meal and my central heat. LOL!!!



All in all, it was great weekend. I enjoyed every minute of it and will spend much more time up there this year. I hunted a couple more times after that but still had no luck. I went to Julian's too and I now have a new Rem 7400 30-06. Just gotta get some blood on it now. So now it's time to get ready for turkey and still do a little squirrel hunting too. Gotta have them dumplin's. Well, that's all for now. Talk to Y'all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment