Saturday, September 18, 2010

Prentice Cooper 2010: Day 2

Morning:
This morning started about as bad as it could. I got up at 3'am and it was almost downright cold. It dipped down into the 50's last night and I left the windows open in the tent. That together with a light steady breeze really cooled it off. I finally motivated myself, got out of bed, got ready to go and did a final gear check. I had everything except the most important thing: my permit for the hunt. I looked in all my stuff, in the truck and everywhere. It was no where to be found. So I thought maybe it blew out of the truck when I got out at my spot yesterday. So I laid back down and waited on daylight. I got up, went and looked and couldn't find it. 

I called my wife and it was at home. I very sweetly asked her to bring and meet me at the interstate exit and headed out. They always have a checkpoint set up to check licenses, permits and hunters Ed cards so I figured a ticket was coming. 

They weren't set up yet but were at the checking station, so I stopped and talked to them. I told them what happened and Mr. Bailey, the game warden who checks everybody asked me to step over to his truck and give him my hunting license. I thought I was in for it. He called Crossville on the radio and verified my permit and wrote the same on my license. Of course people were coming out by then and everybody saw him writing and I got quite a bit of razzing about getting a ticket. It was all in good fun of course.

After that, I came back to camp and fixed something to eat (some good ole fried bologna), took a nap and got ready for a hot evening hunt. I also talked to some friends from past years for a little catching up. It was an enjoyable afternoon after a very rough morning. 

Afternoon:
Got up from my nap with a massive headache. I took some excedrin migraine and headed to the woods. It was hot and there wasn't much of a breeze down in the draw I was in. I did see about 30 turkeys move into the corn field and two does on the ridge across from where I was at. I just couldn't take a 60 yd. shot in the woods. 

I came down to head back and moved my set up over towards the other ridge and the other end of the field. The guy camped behind me is hunting the second field next to me on the other end, so we decided to work together and hunt the closest ends with the deer moving between us. Maybe one of us will get a shot in the morning. 

I'm fixing to eat a big bowl of camp stew from my neighbors. They asked to use my stove to heat it up and offered me some. It's got deer, potatoes, carrots and onions. It smells so good and I'm sure it will taste just as good. Then I'm gonna crash for the night and hit it again in the morning. Happy hunting y'all. 

Totals so far: Bucks-1; doe-4

No comments:

Post a Comment