Friday, September 17, 2010

Prentice Cooper 2010: Day 1

Morning:
I got up and left about 9 am this morning. I made a stop at the gas station for ice then Walmart for a couple more items and I was on my way. I arrived at camp about 10:30 am and got the truck unloaded and everything set up. Afterwards, I grabbed a bottle of water, some viennas and crackers and a peanut butter bar and kicked back for a bit. 

The weather is unseasonably warm and dry so I went to get my spot set up. It is way off the beaten path and only accessible by atv or 4 wheel drive. I am set up between two very good food plots with water and thick cover close. My buddy, Sam, has hunted here a few times and has always saw deer. He sent me the GPS coordinates so it was easy to find.  I have a good feeling and high hopes. I just hope I can navigate the terrain well in the dark in the morning. 

I'm back at camp now eating some lunch and relaxing. I may even take a nap. I just wish I had brought my hammock. Oh well. I always seem to forget something and if that's all I forgot then I'm doing good. 

Afternoon/Evening:
I took a nap (a big thank you to whoever invented the air mattress) and now I'm roaming seeing who is here from past years and who isn't. So far the guys that usually camp next to me haven't showed up. I have only seen a couple of people that I have seen or met before. So far there aren't very many people here. There are a lot of empty campsites which is very unusual. It is a 500 hunter quota and there are usually almost that many here on Fri. 

I did talk to Clint and Joel, the game wardens who live here and saw some pictures of some very nice deer that were harvested last year on the first gun hunt. The was a 14 pointer, several nice 8's one of which dressed at 185 lbs. and a crazy looking non-typical 10 with a full double beam on one side. It wasn't wide but all three beams were tall with long G2's and G3's. 

Maybe this weekend will hold some good luck, a lot of fun and help restock my freezer. Time to settle down and settle in for the night. I'm having mac and cheese with spam chunks for dinner. It's really good and an old favorite from my backpacking days. I'm gonna do a little star gazing and then hit the sack and get ready for 4 am in the morning. Happy hunting all.

No comments:

Post a Comment