Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Turkey Season-'11


Well, it's been two weekends since turkey season opened. I missed opening day due to ball practice so I went Sunday. The turkeys were gobbling hard since it had been raining and storming for several days prior. When I got to the woods, two other hunters were already there and set-up. I knew who they were because I have ran into them on previous seasons and we are pretty much the only ones who hunt this area during turkey season. I know where they set up so I knew where to go.

As soon as I got out of the truck I heard the long beards hammering and then, BOOM! I figured there was a bird down and that they were working them good and hard so I held up on going in for a bit as to not bust their set-up. A few minutes later, one of the guys came walking down the gravel road with a very nice jake who got a little too curious. 

I congratulated him on a nice bird and confirmed where him and his buddy were set up. I let a few yelps go from my K&H Slate Hammer and some started hammering in the opposite direction of where his buddy was. I was getting ready to go down the road and circle around in the woods and maybe push the birds to his buddy when another BOOM! rang out. The other guy came out with another very nice jake.

More congratulations were in order then they left and I headed into the woods for my turn. The birds were still hammering but they were moving the opposite direction. I moved trying to get in front of them but it just didn't work. I had to cut my day short due to my wife and oldest daughter going to Nashville so I headed out and left them for another time.

The other guys and I had made plans to meet up this past weekend and triple team them but I had to work on Saturday and was tied up on Sunday so I'll be there this weekend early and staying late and hoping to get the first one out of the way with my shotgun and then go for one with my bow and hopefully have a good story to tell.

Good luck y'all and keep on putting 'em down. God Bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment